An All Around Loon

"There is more to us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps for the rest of our lives we will be unwilling to settle for less." - Kurt Hahn, Founder of Outward Bound

Monday, June 27, 2011

times they are a changin'

Every decade and generation is known for something. In the 20’s it was the flappers, the 30’s was the Great Depression, the 40’s was World War II, the 50’s were full of greasers’ and housewives, the 60’s were an era of youth, change, and hippies, the 70’s were all about bell bottoms, disco, and Farrah Fawcett, the 80’s were of course filled with big hair and retro fashion trends, the 90’s were a decade of grunge and good TV, the first decade of the new millennium was defined by major technology breakthroughs (facebook, ipods, etc.), and this latest 2010 decade is know for, hmmm I don’t really know, sucking? For that reason I am happy I’m not any younger, because it seems that with each new decade our lives and environment become just a little more doomed. If I were able to choose any generation to live in the prime of my youth I would choose the 1960’s, hands down. I spend a lot of time thinking about random things, but what my life would be like if I grew up in the 60’s crosses my mind a lot.


I would give anything to be able to tell my future children and grandchildren I listened to the Grateful Dead, The Who, Janis Joplin, Crosby Stills & Nash, and other amazing music artists at Woodstock instead of fucking Lil’ Wayne at PNC. I wish I could wear what I wanted and do what I wanted without being judged, and I wish I could enjoy my youth without having to worry about breaking laws. The other night I was looking through my past journal entries and not too far back I wrote, “I think the reason I feel like I belong in the 60’s so much is because they did things for better reasons. I mean I’m sure that when they were in high school or whatever they did something or other because of influences too, but I feel like at the end of the day they took note of the things that really mattered.” I’m pretty sure I was incredibly high when I wrote this, but I make a good point. It seems that everything about the 60’s was just genuinely real; it’s as simple and amazing as that.


I am by no means any sort of history buff, so I’m sure there are some points you could challenge me on, but I know enough. And I know I belong in the 60’s. I feel like people in the 60’s not only gave a fuck, but also did something about it. Whether it was music and fashion, or feminism and minorities’ rights, people poured their souls into fighting for what they believed. I mean shit, the youth of the 60’s were responsible for an epic social revolution that is still part of the reason why people aren’t afraid to express themselves today. This generation didn’t just exist like most others; they actually lived.



“The thing the sixties did was to show us the possibilities and the responsibility that we all had. It wasn't the answer. It just gave us a glimpse of the possibility.” –John Lennon

1 comment:

  1. I used to say the exact same thing when I was your age. I loved the 60's (what I remember of them), the 70's and the 80's. The 90's were a blurr - and you're right - what has this decade done?

    ReplyDelete