An All Around Loon

"There is more to us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps for the rest of our lives we will be unwilling to settle for less." - Kurt Hahn, Founder of Outward Bound

Thursday, May 29, 2014

New Chapter/Blank Slate

Truthfully speaking, over the course of the past month and a half I have A) Broken up with my long-term boyfriend (first love/the inevitable), B) Graduated from Rutgers University (finally!), and C) Am essentially in the process of being financially cut-off from my parents (oh fuck...). Needless to say, I am currently at a major turning point in my life. For the first time ever, I am pretty much on my own. During the initial occurrence of all these changes I felt very lost and slightly scared. Nonetheless, now that I have had some time to fully accept and process all of these different life-changing situations that I have recently encountered, I have finally come to the realization that I should look at this time as an exciting new chapter/blank slate in my life during which I can build a bright and exciting future. 

With that said, I would like to begin this new stage in my life on a positive note. Last night for some reason, most likely because I decided to skip out on my own graduating class's big commencement speech and attended the smaller ceremony instead, I started searching YouTube for some past significant graduation speeches. Much to my surprise, one of the most impactive/influential college commencement speeches given that I stumbled upon was given by Conan O'Brien from 2011 at Dartmouth College. Shocking I know, haha (I've always personally been more of a Jay Leno fan myself). Nevertheless, one aspect of Conan's speech that especially stood out to me was when he said, "Well it's simple. There are few things more liberating in this life then having your worst fear realized"

In relation to my own life, this could not be more true. Yes, over the past several years I admit I have probably taken for granted/over-enjoyed the presence of having a lover next to me every night, as well as the freedom being in college gives you, and the financial support my parents have always provided me with. Deep down however, I have always known that none of these things would ever last, despite no matter how much I had wanted them to. Well, now that they are all finally becoming a reality, it's like I said, at first it sucks, but as Conan said, eventually it all feels extremely liberating. 


For the first time in a long time, I truly have the world at my feet and am free to do anything. In fact, I'm already starting to have fun exploring all the different possibilities life has to offer. On that note, here's to new beginnings- *Cheers!* (:



No comments:

Post a Comment