An All Around Loon

"There is more to us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps for the rest of our lives we will be unwilling to settle for less." - Kurt Hahn, Founder of Outward Bound

Monday, January 3, 2011

I guess the good times, they were all just killing me.

Earlier in December between finals and the craziness of the holiday season, I was already on edge; but when everyone started to come home from school, my anxiety grew even worse. I just wanted to avoid it all, I just wanted to escape; and that’s exactly what I did.

Realizing that neither my brother or sister and their families would be home for Christmas made me even more of a grinch. So, after thinking about it for all about, oh five minutes, I booked my flight to Alaska and left two days later. Although I felt bad leaving my parents alone on Christmas for the first time in twenty-nine years, I was excited to see my nephew Quinn and get the hell out of Jersey.

This was my fourth trip to Alaska, and I love it more and more each time. Not only because it serves as an excellent detox, but also because I always end up learning more about life and also myself. Being in Alaska not only makes me appreciate where I am, but where I come from as well. It’s like I get to view my life from outside, which helps me to recognize my strengths and weaknesses.

Every year on New Years I always make a silly resolution like everyone else that I never keep, but this year I have made a realistic goal. My New Year’s resolution for 2011 is to get my shit together. I know it sounds silly, but I’m sooo serious, and my last minute trip to Alaska was a perfect start.

No comments:

Post a Comment