An All Around Loon

"There is more to us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps for the rest of our lives we will be unwilling to settle for less." - Kurt Hahn, Founder of Outward Bound

Monday, February 22, 2010

PlanToBeSurprised.

We all do it, we make plans for our future and set goals we want to accomplish, but if you really think about it, our plans never turn out the way we thought they would. Take me for instance, upon graduating high school I had my whole life planned out. I thought I would move out, attend college far away, meet people who would change my life, do well in school, lose 30 pounds, fall madly in love with my future husband, graduate with a college degree, land a job easily, and live happily ever after. That did not happen, well not really. I did move out and attend college six hours away, but after first semester I dropped out and moved back home, I did meet cool people too, but not exactly different people- not people like me, my grades were not terrible but they were not especially good either, I went to the gym 5 or 6 days a week and ate rather healthy but did not lose thirty pounds, and since I went to school with 70 percent females, I did not fall madly in love with anyone. Needless to say my idea of “and they lived happily ever after…” was thrown out the window rather quickly.

But just because my plans did not work out, doesn't mean my life and state of mind did too. In fact, I'm much happier with my life now then I was than. Sure, I go to community college, have no job, and live with my parents, but it is all temporary and I'm actually enjoying making the best out of my situation. After living somewhere else for a few months, it made me really appreciate my hometown more. In high school I focused on nothing but the bad things about Middletown, but now I realize there is a lot of experiences and opportunities within my reach here. I'm not saying I want to live here forever, but for now it is working out well for me.

And the thing is, life is always going to be throwing you curve balls, so you can either let them hit you in the chest with force, or learn to swerve. Also, usually the best times in life are derived from total mistakes or random times; so maybe the only thing we should really plan for in life, is to be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment